Image Map

Monday, November 21, 2016

Happy Thanksgiving!




Although I know many teachers and students have this week off, we have 3 days! I plan to use these 3 days to practice our non fiction reading skills. And I'm going to use Thanksgiving to do it! And I am so thankful for easy prep, low maintenance ideas.

I love it because it is meaningful for the children, but also so easy to prep, full of fun, and everybody will be happy.

On Monday, I will be reading a couple of Thanksgiving Books.



These are some of my favorites. I want a diversity of presentations. This will help students have a frame of reference. We will discuss things that we hear most of them mention. We will talk about questions we have and HOPEFULLY this will lead to the students wanting to know more. (I love when they think a project is all their idea.)

Then I will be using these Thanksgiving Close Reads. There are 4 sections. I will assign each section to a group. Their job is to read and research their topic. They will start with the article I give them and will then add to their information, and check it, using the other resources we have. This includes other Thanksgiving books and the internet.

Students will work collaboratively to find a way to present their information. Depending on how they do with the first part, we may create a powerpoint presentation, or we may create a poster.

On Wednesday, students will presents their topics. Each section has a set of questions and an activity with it. After each presentation, all students in the class will complete the questions and activity as a way of proving mastery.

Wishing all of you a happy and healthy Thanksgiving!


No comments:

Post a Comment